Sunday, May 13, 2007

A Nearly Perfect Weekend...

So, here it is, Sunday night and I'm looking back at a great weekend.

Yesterday, we helped some friends paint inside their new house. We had a nice time meeting some new people (their other friends who came to help) and helping out our friends. We are blessed enough to find ourselves surrounded by friends who are caring and supportive, and willing to help us when needed, so it felt great to pay it back (or pay it forward, I guess). In any case, we had a great time, and my itch for our house of our own was renewed! Someday...

Then we went over to another set of friends' for dinner...they grilled us shish-kabobs and pulled out all the stops. I'm talking brats, shrimp, steak, orange and green peppers, mushrooms, pearl onions, tomatoes, and potatoes. Not to mention the skewers of fresh fruit to dip in the cream cheese fruit dip. Yum! We really enjoyed our time with them, though it went too quickly.

Then Greg went out with the softball boys and I decided to head home for some "me" time: reading and scrapbooking.

Today we got to sleep in! Loved it, though I really did miss going to church. Then, we picked up the stuff to make ribs for dinner tonight...Greg is grilling them right now...and plants to fill the container that sits on our front step. I was so proud to go with completely different flowers than I normally do. Typically I choose a tall spiky plant for the center and then either gerberas or geraniums around that, and then pansies or petunias on the outside border. This year, I broke with tradition and went with some funky stuff and I couldn't be happier with the results. I don't know the names of any of the plants except the coral bell, but I will take a picture and post it. We also watched a few episodes of The Office from Season 2 that we had missed.

So, now you can see where the "perfect" comes from in todays title: good friends, good food, time spent outdoors, and time spent with each other. The "nearly" comes from us not being able to spend this weekend with the special moms in our life: Greg's mom, his sister, my mom, grandma, and aunt. Typically we travel home for Mother's Day, but with the next two weekends being graduations in our families, we just couldn't make it this year. So instead we'll see his family next week, and mine the following. I just wish we could've spent the day enjoying and celebrating those special people we call "Mom".

2 comments:

Bonita Rose said...

Michelle, your hearts were in the right place.. rememember that.

toners said...

I agree with Bonnie. Sometimes it's not possible to be with people physically, but we can be with them in other ways :) I'm glad you had such a great weekend!