Thursday, December 6, 2007

So very thankful...

Thank you to each of you have called or emailed me today to check on my family and friends in Omaha. It means the world to me that you would take a moment out of your day to check on me and make sure things were okay. I'm counting my blessings over and over tonight as I read through the news leads about the tragedy in Omaha.

None of my family or friends were involved, though one person very dear to me was shopping at that Von Maur not more than an hour before the incident. Thankfully, he was in and out of the store on a quick errand and avoided the whole mess.

Unfortunately, though, many others were not so lucky. I can't help but think of how scared they must've been. How terribly sad the holidays are going to be for their loved ones. At how their precious lives were wasted by one careless, troubled soul who wanted "to not be a burden" and "to be famous."

I'm sad. I'm angry. I'm at a loss of words. How can someone do this to someone else? I just don't get it.

If you're the praying type, please pray for these victims and their loved ones. Pray for the killer. Pray for the people who tried to take him in, in hopes of getting him back on his feet. Pray for the community of Omaha, my hometown.

And also know that besides counting my blessings for the safety of my family and friends, I'm counting my blessings for friends who thought of me and my family yesterday and today. I thank you. I really do.

4 comments:

Scraploft said...

I just read about the situation in Omaha a few minutes ago. So glad to read that no one from your family or your friends were involved. Thank God for that. I do pray for the victims and their families. I to will never understand what makes on human being hurt another. Sad...
~Jenn

Bonita Rose said...

I agree with what Jenn shared.. why certain ppl intentionally hurt others is beyond me. I was praying for u yesterday M.. I know ur from Nebraska. Here's to good friends! SEE YOU ON SUNDAY!

Suzy said...

I am so glad that no one you knew was involved. I too share your anger and confusion. I will pray for all concerned.

Suzy

CountryMouse said...

This is absolutely tragic. I have to confess I have just checked into your blog and had no idea that this tragedy had happened. We have been moving back into our house so I have not seen the news for a couple of days. I just feel numb - so near to Christmas and as you say what sadness this has brought to the surviving families. Why oh why do people have to resort to these acts - I just cannot get my head around it.
I am so glad you and your family are safe and well and my prayers are with all concerned.